Taped Wednesday, September 21, 2022
To Air Friday, September 23, 2022
Queens, NY – Arthur Ashe Stadium
AEW taped this week’s two hour Rampage: Grand Slam Wednesday night after Dynamite.
- Sting & Darby Allin defeated House of Black (Brody King & Buddy Matthews) via Scorpion Death Drop by Sting on Matthews. This was a very fun match to open Rampage. Darby did a lot of cool spots, including a Coffin Drop off of the entrance tunnel. He and Brody King also fell off of the stage through tables. Julia Hart and Buddy Matthews handcuffed Sting’s hands behind his back. Buddy Matthews sat Sting in a chair and was going to hit him with a bat when the Great Muta suddenly made his entrance to a huge pop. He spit mist in Buddy’s face, then Sting broke out of the handcuffs on his own somehow and hit Buddy with the Scorpion Death Drop for the win.
- Action Bronson & Hook defeated Matt Menard & Angelo Parker via Redrum submission by Bronson and Hook on both Menard and Parker at the same time. Bronson looked pretty good and agile. Another fun match.
- TBS Championship: Jade Cargill (c) defeated Diamante via Jaded in a pretty short match that didn’t have a lot of heat. Diamante had rapper Trina in her corner. After the match, Trina turned on Diamante, slapping her and shaking hands with Jade.
- Wardlow & Samoa Joe defeated Tony Nese & Josh Woods via Muscle Buster by Joe on Nese in another pretty short match. Mark Sterling cut a promo before the match saying that there’s a crazy guy going around trying to powerbomb him, but his athletes are going to stop that from happening. After the match, Joe grabbed Sterling and threw him to Wardlow, who hit him with three powerbombs in a row.
- Jungle Boy defeated Rey Fenix via small package. This was a good match but felt like it went way too long. It was close to midnight at this point and the crowd was tired and this match felt like it went almost a half hour. After the match, Christian Cage’s music hit. He cut a promo insulting NYC and got a massive amount of heat. Luchasaurus then showed up from behind Jungle Boy and attacked him. Christian was wearing a cast on his arm and said that Jungle Boy’s sneak attack at All Out gave him an injury. He called Jungle Boy a bitch as Luchasaurus held him down and said that it’s a shame that his mom and sister couldn’t see him right now. He told Jungle Boy to not show his face in AEW anymore then told Luchasaurus to “end him” and Lucha gave him a big chokeslam. Christian got a ton of heat and brought the crowd back to life.
- Backstage: Jericho Appreciation Society – Jericho celebrated with the JAS backstage over his ROH title win. He said that next week there will be a championship celebration.
- Sammy Guevara defeated Eddie Kingston after a referee overruled the decision of the match. Kingston originally won via Stretch Plum submission after three spinning back fists, but after the match, he wouldn’t break the hold. Several officials tried to stop him, but he wouldn’t let go, so Justin Roberts announced that a senior referee has overridden the decision. Massive boos, of course. This was a good match. Eddie was very over with the NY crowd and Sammy got a lot of heat. Before the match, Sammy got a mic and told Kingston that he was sorry… “sorry for not saying this to your face, you fat piece of shit.”
- Grand Slam Golden Ticket Battle Royale: Hangman Page won, last eliminating Rush. Page will now get a World Championship match at a set time and date in the future. Order of elimination: Ari Daivari, Cole Carter, QT Marshall, Danhausen, Dante Martin, Jake Hager, Chuck Taylor, Brian Cage, Trent, Dalton Castle (who was very over with the crowd), Daniel Garcia, Lee Moriarty, Dark Order’s 10, The Blade, Matt Hardy, both members of Private Party, Evil Uno, The Butcher, John Silver, Lance Archer, Penta El Zero Miedo, Jay Lethal, Rush.
- Lights Out Match: Ricky Starks defeated Powerhouse Hobbs via Roshambo after a spear through a table. This was a great match, but it was about 12:40 AM when it ended and the crowd was tired. They still somehow got the crowd very into it though in the last few minutes. Worth watching for sure.
These matches were taped before Dynamite. To air this Monday on YouTube.
- Mixed Tag Team Match: Penelope Ford & Kip Sabian defeated Skye Blue & Shawn Dean via springboard suplex by Sabian on Dean
- Ortiz defeated Serpentico via fisherman buster