Welcome to TPWW’s Emperor Smeat’s Match and Show Ratings for the week of October 2nd to October 9th, 2021.
Match and show star ratings (out of 5):
WWE RAW WWE Draft 2021 Night 2 (October 4)
* United States Championship – Jeff Hardy vs. Damian Priest (c) – 2.5
* Shayna Baszler vs. Dana Brooke – 1.5 (Squash)
* Mustafa Ali & Mansoor vs. Humberto Carrillo & Angel Garza – 2.5
* Big E & Drew McIntyre vs. Dirty Dawgs (Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode) – 3.0
* WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship – Natayla & Tamina vs. Nikki A.S.H. & Rhea Ripley (c) – 2.5
* New Day vs. Hurt Business (Cedric Alexander & Shelton Benjamin) – 2.0 (Squash)
* Bianca Belair vs. Charlotte Flair – 2.5
Overall – 2.5
Best – The Big E, Drew McIntyre, & Dirty Dawgs in-ring promo segment.
Worst – Way too few NXT talent being drafted overall to freshen up the rosters at the level needed to actually resolve WWE’s staleness issues.
Show Notes – Opening Becky Lynch, Flair, & Belair bickering promo segment about their bad blood issues was decent at best. Night 2’s Round 1 picks were anti-climatic. US title match was solid despite the abrupt roll-up ending. Post-match Hardy promo about going to SD and Austin Theory response & brawl was decent. RK-Bro backstage interview was a bit funny. Round 2 picks were decent overall. Baszler & Xia Li going to SD was interesting while Round 3 picks were pretty good overall. Big E & McIntyre promo about WWE title match setup & Dirty Dawgs response was splendid but WWE erasing AJ Lee from the Ziggler & Big E’s past as pals video was petty. Big E & McIntyre vs. Dirty Dawgs was an entertaining back-and-forth action match. Kevin Owens & Akira Tozawa in-ring segment was dumb. Finn Balor going to RAW was interesting while Round 4 picks were all right overall. Women’s Tag title was a solid back-and-forth style match. Round 5 picks were a dud overall. Goldberg & Lashley face-to-face promo about their bad blood and upcoming match & brawl with Hurt Business was decent at best. Rollins backstage interview about his move to RAW & Edge was fine. Ridge Holland being drafted to SD but not Pete Dunne as well was very interesting & same for Gable Steveson skipping NXT. Round 6 picks were swell overall. Bianca’s botched slam to Flair & KOD finisher afterwards were very rough looking. Bianca vs. Flair was mostly good despite the lame DQ ending by Lynch. This week’s WWE Draft 2021 show was average overall but the better of the two Draft nights in terms of draft pick surprises.
NXT (October 5)
* Mandy Rose vs. Ember Moon – 2.5
* Odyssey Jones vs. LA Knight – 2.0
* Ikemen Jiro vs. Joe Gacy – 2.5
* Cora Jade vs. Franky Monet – 2.0
* Pete Dunne vs. Cameron Grimes – 3.0
* Malik Blade vs. Tony D’Angelo – 2.5 (Squash)
* Mei Ying vs. Indi Hartwell – 2.0
* NXT Tag Team Championship Fatal 4-Way Elimination match – Josh Briggs & Brooks Jensen vs. Trick Williams & Carmelo Hayes vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. MSK (c) – 3.0
Overall – 2.5
Best – Tommaso Ciampa & Bron Breakker in-ring promo segment.
Worst – Tommaso Ciampa & Joe Gacy backstage segment and the Raquel Gonzalez & Toxic Attraction promo segment.
Show Notes – Moon’s suicide dive to Jayne on the outside was nice & same for her apron powerbomb to Rose afterwards. Rose vs. Moon was a solid quick opening match. Legado Del Fantasma promo vignette about their bad blood with Hit Row was okay. Grimes & Dunne backstage segment about Grimes’ quest to find a girlfriend was a bit funny. Tommaso Ciampa & Bron Breakker promo segment about NXT title match setup at Halloween Havoc was splendid. Gacy’s “woke”-style backstage promo was decent but his new gimmick still feels very awkward. Hartwell, Pirotta, & Tian Sha backstage segment was goofy. Duke’s Poker Room vignette felt like a duller version of Impact’s Swinger’s Palace minus the comedic aspect. Ciampa & Gacy backstage interview segment was awful. Dunne vs. Grimes was a pretty good back-and-forth action match despite the ending shenanigans. Hit Row backstage promo response to Legado was a bit corny. D’Angelo trying to pay off the ref during his entrance was funny. Blade vs. D’Angelo was a fine extended squash style match. Lash Legend backstage talk show plans segment was lame. Diamond Mine promo vignette was all right. Raquel Gonzalez interview segment about Toxic Attraction & Toxic Attraction response felt way too stiff or robotic in delivery. Hayes springboard clothesline to Nash Carter was nice. GYV’s top rope dropkick & headlock DDT combo to Wes Lee looked vicious. Briggs & Jensen got some really nice height with their double chokeslam to Lee. NXT Tag title 4-Way was a quite good action filled match despite the flat abrupt ending. This week’s show was average at best overall.
Friday Night SmackDown (October 8)
* King of the Ring 2021 tournament First Round match – Rey Mysterio vs. Sami Zayn – 3.0
* Queen’s Crown tournament First Round match – Zelina Vega vs. Toni Storm – 2.0
* Queen’s Crown tournament First Round match – Carmella vs. Liv Morgan – 1.5
* King of the Ring 2021 First Round match – Finn Balor vs. Cesaro – 3.0
Overall – 2.5
Best – Finn Balor vs. Cesaro match.
Worst – WWE’s abysmal booking of their Queen’s Crown tournament matches on the show,
Show Notes – Opening SD Women’s title contract signing segment was all right but the segment ending with nobody signing the actual contract was funny. Mysterio’s sunset hurricanrana to Zayn on the outside was cool. Mysterio’s Frankensteiner to Zayn was nice. Mysterio vs. Zayn was a quite good back-and-forth action match despite the ending shenanigans with Dominik. Hit Row SD debut vignette was fine. Seth Rollins backstage interview about his home invasion of Edge’s house & bad blood with Edge was all right. The bracket for the inaugural Queen’s Crown tournament looks very weak compared to the Men’s KotR one. Vega vs. Storm was somewhat decent at best & surprised Vega actually won. Roman Reigns promo segment about Paul Heyman trust issues & Lesnar’s free agency status and Heyman’s scared response & warning to Lesnar was splendid. Rollins, Deville, & Pearce backstage office segment about Edge’s status for the show was decent. Carmella vs. Morgan was dull & topped with a flat ending. WWE’s booking and match quality for the debut night of their inaugural Queen’s Crown tournament was lackluster overall in terms of quality. Mace backstage interview about his singles run & SD locker room was decent. The Happy Talk segment with Madcap Moss & brawl with Kevin Owens stunk. Ceasro’s vicious uppercut to Balor sitting on the top rope was cool. Balor vs. Cesaro was a quite good back-and-forth hard hitting match. Rollins promo segment mocking Edge and brawl with Edge and Edge’s Hell in a Cell match response was superb. This week’s show was mostly average overall.
AEW Dark Elevation (October 4)
* Skye Blue vs. Emi Sakura – 2.5
* Daniel Garcia & 2point0 (Jeff Parker & Matt Lee) vs. Shayne Stetson, Justin Corino, & The 1ManThrillRide – 2.0 (Squash)
* The Pinnacle (Wardlow & Shawn Spears) vs. Fuego Del Sol & Marko Stunt – 2.5 (Squash)
* Lance Archer vs. Louis Bruno – 2.0 (Squash)
* Abadon vs. Davienne – 1.5 (Squash)
* Santana & Ortiz vs. The Batiri (Kodama & Obariyon) – 2.0 (Squash)
* Kris Statlander vs. B3CCA – 2.0 (Squash)
* The Acclaimed vs. Colin Delaney & Cheech – 2.0 (Squash)
* FTR vs. Zach Nystrom & Elijah Dean – 1.5 (Squash)
* Sonny Kiss vs. KM – 2.5
Overall – 2.5
Best – The Pinnacle vs. Fuego Del Sol & Marko Stunt match.
Worst – The very heavy amount of squash matches throughout the show.
Show Notes – Eddie Kingston on commentary calling Blue’s running wheel kick to Sakura a “spin kicky thing” was a bit funny. Blue vs. Sakura opener was a solid back-and-forth style match. Wardlow got some really great air with his vertical toss & powerslam combo to Stunt. Stunt’s multiple rolling antics across the ring to Spears’ high flying spot attempts was funny. Pinnacle vs. Del Sol & Stunt was a fine extended squash match. Abadon’s Guillotine Stunner to Davienne was nice. Abadon vs. Davienne was a mostly nothing squash match. Gunn Club backstage promo segment about being underappreciated by fans was decent. Max Caster rap diss mocking Delaney & Cheech’s appearances was a bit funny. FTR probably could have broken the record for shortest ever AEW match had Dax Harwood not been all bewildered & pinned Nystrom right away after their 1-hit move to him. Kiss vs.KM was a solid back-and-forth style match. Joey Janela’s post-match failed ambush attack on Kiss was okay. brawl was okay. This week’s show was average at best overall and somewhat skippable.
AEW Dark (October 5)
* Eight-Man Tag Team match – The Pinnacle (FTR, Shawn Spears, & Wardlow) vs. Baron Black, Austin Green, Aaron Frye, & Dean Alexander – 3.0
* Abadon vs. Valentina Rossi – 2.0 (Squash)
* The Acclaimed vs. Michael Martinez & Vary Morales – 2.0 (Squash)
* Sonny Kiss vs. Kal Herro – 2.0 (Squash)
* Kris Statlander vs. Zada Zhang – 2.5
* Sky Blue vs. Madi Wrenkowski – 2.5
* Eddie Kingston vs. Anthony Henry – 3.5
* Gunn Club (Colton, Austin, & Billy Gunn) vs. Hunter Knott, Rosario Grillo & * Cameron Stewart – 2.0
* Diamante vs. Santana Garrett – 3.0
* The Wingmen (Pretty Peter Avalon & “Hollywood Hunk” Ryan Nemeth) vs. Varsity Blonds – 2.5
* Daniel Garcia vs. Erik Lockhart – 2.0 (Squash)
* Serpentico vs. Marko Stunt – 2.5
* Nick Comoroto vs. Orange Cassidy – 3.0
Overall – 3.0
Best – Eddie Kingston vs. Anthony Henry match.
Worst – Max Caster’s pre-match rap insults effort.
Show Notes – Wardlow & Green mid-match hoss fight was sweet. Opening 8-Man Tag was a pretty good back-and-forth action match. Max Caster’s pre-match rap diss mocking Martinez, Morales, & the AEW crowd’s looks was more miss than hit for quality. Statlander’s Spider Crab submission finisher to Zhang looked cool. Statlander vs. Zhang was a solid back-and-forth style match. Blue vs. Wrenkowski was a decent competitive match & Blue getting her first ever AEW win is interesting. Henry’s Figure Four Dragon Screw to Kingston was cool & same for his spinning heel kick to Kingston on the barricade. Kingston vs. Henry was a very good hard hitting match. Diamante’s standing Slice Bread finisher to Garrett was impressive. Diamante vs. Garrett was a pretty good hard fought action match. Serpentico’s Irish Whip & Michinoku Driver combo to Stunt was nice. Luther yelling at Serpentico to do the “Flying Snake” move to Stunt was a bit funny. Serpentico’s KO sell of Stunt’s tope suicida to the outside & Luther chucking Serptenico off the stage to do the “Flying Snake” to Stunt and missing badly was funny. Serpentico vs. Stunt was a decent match with some nice comedic moments. Comoroto vs. Cassidy was a pretty good back-and-forth action match, especially the latter half. This week’s show was enjoyable overall.
AEW Dynamite 2nd Anniversary (October 6)
* Eight-Man Tag Team match – The Super Elite (Adam Cole, Kenny Omega, & The Young Bucks) vs. Bryan Danielson, Christian Cage, & Jurassic Express – 4.0
* TNT Championship – Bobby Fish vs. Sammy Guevara (c) – 3.0
* Darby Allin vs. Nick Comoroto – 2.5
* Hikaru Shida vs. Serena Deeb – 3.5
* AEW World Championship Contender’s Casino Ladder match – Orange Cassidy vs. PAC vs. Andrade El Idolo vs. Matt Hardy vs. Lance Archer vs. Jon Moxley vs. Hangman Adam Page – 4.0
Overall – 4.0
Best – Casino Ladder match and Hangman Adam Page’s surprise return.
Worst – CM Punk’s rambling promo segment going off the rails and TNT botching the commercial break timing during the Shida vs. Deeb match.
Show Notes – Ouch at Matt Jackson’s chest after Danielson’s chops & kicks fest. Luchasaurus chokeslamming Cole onto Omega was cool. Super Elite’s BTE Trigger destruction of Jungle was cool. Opening 8-Man Tag was a terrific back-and-forth action packed bout despite some botch moments. CM Punk rambling promo about Philly & Daniel Garcia was a big swing & miss. Arn Anderson’s arson-based segment with Cody about Malakai Black & Stardust reference was superb. Fish’s Avalanche Falcon Arrow to Guevara was cool. TNT title was a pretty good action filled match. Post-match American Top Team, Fuego Del Sol, & Inner Circle brawl and Lambert & Jericho promos was very entertaining. AEW debuting a new Women’s belt is sweet but naming it after TBS was a bit funny. New TBS belt looks nice though. Allin backstage sit-down interview about his face paint & MJF was interesting. Black answering Dante Martin’s open challenge & attack was wonderful. Shida’s Inverted Powerslam to Deeb was nice. Deeb’s Inverted Dragon Screw to Shida looked brutal. Shida vs. Deeb was a very good back-and-forth action match, especially the latter half, & bit surprised Deeb won. Britt Baker backstage interview about TBS title was all right. PAC’s brainbuster counter of Cassidy’s Tornado DDT was cool. Archer’s catch & apron chokeslam of Cassidy’s dive was cool. The mega crowd pop for Page being the Joker was great. Holy crap at Page hitting the Dead Eye to PAC from the top of the ladder trough a table. Hardy’s leg drop to Cassidy from a ladder through a table was crazy. Casino Ladder match was amazing. This week’s Anniversary show was fantastic overall.
AEW Rampage (October 8)
* CM Punk vs. Daniel Garcia – 4.0
* AEW World Tag Team Championship – The Acclaimed vs. Lucha Brothers (c) – 3.5
* Jade Cargill vs. Sky Blue – 2.0 (Squash)
* FTW Championship Philly Street Fight – Brian Cage vs. Ricky Starks (c) – 3.5
Overall – 3.5
Best – CM Punk vs. Daniel Garcia match.
Worst – Ricky Starks’ face after getting busted open near the end of the FTW title match.
Show Notes – Opening Garcia & Punk pre-match split-screen interview about 2point0 mocking Punk for leaving wrestling & Punk’s response was splendid. Ouch at Garcia’s back after his missed shotgun dropkick to Punk in the corner. Punk’s knee strike counter of Garcia’s takedown attempt was nice. Garcia’s knee strike & Olympic Slam combo to Punk was sweet. Punk’s hammerlock clothesline to Garcia was cool. Punk’s piledriver & Anaconda Vice finisher combo to Garcia was wonderful. Punk vs. Garcia opening match was an excellent hard fought action & grapple packed match. Dante Martin, Lio Rush, & Matt Sydal backstage segment about Rush being pals with Martin & tease of Sydal joining his group was all right. Max Caster’s pre-match rap diss mocking Philly was splendid. Caster’s catch & suplex counter of Penta’s jumping attack was nice. Fenix’s rolling Cutter to Antony Bowens was cool. Ouch at Bowens’ family jewels after Penta’s hard top rope double stomp. AEW Tag title match was a very good back-and-forth action filled match. Cargill’s pre-match promo about Blue was decent. Cargill vs. Blue was a decent mostly squash match. Starks & Cage pre-match split-screen interview segment about their bad blood was all right. Ouch at Starks’ back after Cage’s hard chair shot. Ouch at Cage’s head after getting boinked by Starks’ pool cue whack. Starks’ Tornado DDT to Cage was nice. Ouch at Starks getting busted open after being rammed into a chair on the corner. FTW title Street Fight was a very good hard hitting hardcore match, especially the latter half. This week’s show was very enjoyable overall.
NJPW, Impact, & Other Wrestling
NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 9 (October 3)
* Kosei Fujita vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru – 2.5
* BUSHI vs. Toru Yano – 2.5
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – KENTA vs. Great-O-Khan – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Yujiro Takahashi vs. Tanga Loa – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. – 4.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Kota Ibushi vs. Shingo Takagi – 4.5
Overall – 3.5
Best – Kota Ibushi vs. Shingo Takagi match.
Worst – BUSHI vs. Toru Yano match.
Show Notes – Fujita vs. Kanemaru opener was a solid bout. BUSHI & Yano’s impromptu blindfold mini-battle was funny. BUSHI vs. Yano was a somewhat entertaining comedic-style bout. Khan’s chop fakeout into a takedown double leglock to KENTA was nice. KENTA putting on Khan’s tiny hat for his double stomp onto a chair to Khan was a bit funny. KENTA vs. Great-O-Khan was a quite good back-and-forth action match despite the shenanigans ending. Kevin Kelly slacking on explaining what tonight’s “interpretive dance” tale was for Pieter’s seductive dance during Yuijro’s entrance was a bummer. Yujiro busting out a suicide dive to Loa on the outside was surprising. Loa’s Apeshit finisher outta nowhere to Yujiro was cool. Takahashi vs. Loa was a lot better than I had expected. Ishii’s hard chop to Sabre Jr. sending him crashing into the turnbuckle was cool. Ishii’s overhead suplex counter of Sabre Jr.’s leaping armbar was cool. Sabre Jr.’s underhook submission hold via his legs to Ishii looked brutal. Ishii’s vicious foot stomp counter of Sabre Jr.’s armbar to break the hold was sweet. Ishii vs. Sabre Jr. was an amazing hard fought back-and-forth action packed match. Takagi’s Pumping Bomber rebound of Ibushi’s missile dropkick was cool, especially for its brutality. Ibushi’s Asai Moonsault to Takagi on the outside was awesome. Takagi’s pop-up DVD to Ibushi was nice. Takagi’s lariats to Ibushi have been very brutal looking. Ouch at Takagi’s neck from Ibushi’s Poison Rana. Ibushi vs. Takagi was a fantastic back-and-forth hard hitting action packed bout. G1 Climax 2021 Night 9 was a very enjoyable show overall, especially the latter half.
NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 10 (October 4)
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Chase Owens vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Tama Tonga vs. EVIL – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi – 3.5
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – YOSHI-HASHI vs. Hirooki Goto – 3.5
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada – 4.5
Overall – 4.0
Best – SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada match.
Worst – The anti-climatic flat ending to the Tama Tonga vs. EVIL match.
Show Notes – Owens vs. Tanahashi was an entertaining opening match & legit surprised Owens won. Tonga’s rapid fire dropkicks trio to EVIL was nice. Tonga’s rolling DVD to EVIL was cool. The lights going out during the Tonga-EVIL match for EVIL’s benefit was interesting. Tonga vs. EVIL was surprisingly good despite the anti-climatic ending. SHO being revealed as the mystery person who messed with the lights was all right. Cobb’s catch & Fallaway slam counter of Taichi’s kick to him was cool. Cobb mocking Taichi’s entrance signing while standing on him was funny. Taichi’s kick massacre of Cobb was brutal. Taichi’s Dangerous Suplex to Cobb bending him in half was wonderful. Cobb’s deadlift German suplex & Tour of the Islands finisher combo to Taichi was spectacular. Cobb vs. Taichi was a very good hard hitting action filled match. Goto’s Ushigoroshi to YOSHI was very smooth. YOSHI hitting Goto with his own Shoten Kai move was sweet. YOSHI & Goto’s hard chops & slaps fest exchange was nice. Goto’s Shoten Kai & GTR finisher combo to YOSHI was cool. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Goto was a very good physical back-and-forth action match. First half of Okada-SANADA match has been at a brisker pace than Okada’s usual routine for long matches. SANADA’s Destino-like move & Skull End combo to Okada was cool. SANADA’s pop-up TKO counter of Okada’s Rainmaker was sweet. Okada’s High angle & Rolling German suplexes to SANADA was nice. Okada’s Landslide driver & Rainmaker finisher combo to SANADA was awesome. SANADA vs. Okada was a marvelous hard fought action packed battle. G1 Climax Night 10 was a fantastic show overall.
NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 11 (October 7)
* Ryohei Oiwa vs. El Desperado – 2.5
* KENTA vs. Hiromu Takahashi – 4.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Tangoa Loa vs. Kota Ibushi – 3.5
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Yujiro Takahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. – 3.5
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Toru Yano vs. Shingo Takagi – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Great-O-Khan vs. Tomohiro Ishii – 4.0
Overall – 4.0
Best – KENTA vs. Hiromu Takahashi match and Great-O-Khan vs. Tomohiro Ishii match.
Worst – Kota Ibushi busting out one of the worst ever looking Poison Ranas to Tanga Loa.
Show Notes – Oiwa vs. El Desperado opener was a solid match. Takahashi’s stiff chops to KENTA was nice. Ouch at Takahashi’s head after KENTA’s hard running dropkick to him in the corner. Ouch at KENTA’s neck after Takahashi’s overhead suplex into the turnbuckle. KENTA’s Green Killer to Takahashi onto a chair was brutal. KENTA’s palm strike fest to Takahashi was sweet. KENTA vs. Takahashi was an excellent hard fought action packed bout despite the flat ending. Ibushi’s powerslam & moonsault combo to Loa was smooth looking. Loa’s reverse Kamigoye counter to Ibushi’s Kamigoye attempts was cool. Ibushi completely whiffing on the Poison Rana to Loa was funny. Loa vs. Ibushi was a very good back-and-forth action match, especially the latter half. Kevin Kelly slacking again on explaining tonight’s “interpretive dance” tale by Pieter during Yuijro’s entrance was a bummer. Yujiro biting Sabre’s foot to counter to Sabre’s kicks was funny. Yujiro & Sabre Jr’s counters exchange into a Reverse DDT by Yujiro was cool. Takahashi vs. Sabre Jr. was a really good back-and-forth action & grapple style match. Yano’s blindfold hood antics to Takagi & chucking him under the ring was funny. Yano vs. Takagi was an entertaining match with some nice comedic moments. Ishii & Khan’s chop fest exchange & elbows exchange afterwards was cool. Ouct at Ishii & Khan’s heads after their headbutt battle. Khan’s Gord Buster to Ishii was nice. Khan’s rebound Pump Kick of Ishii’s Release German Suplex was cool. Great-O-Khan vs. Ishii was a great grueling action packed battle. G1 Climax 2021 Night 11 was a terrific show overall.
NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 12 (October 8)
* Kosei Fujita vs. El Desperado – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Tama Tonga vs. YOSHI-HASHI – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Chase Owens vs. Hirooki Goto – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Jeff Cobb vs. SANADA – 3.5
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – EVIL vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – Taichi vs. Kazuchika Okada – 4.0
Overall – 3.5
Best – Taichi vs. Kazuchika Okada match.
Worst – The patented Bullet Club style ending shenanigans to the EVIL Hiroshi Tanahashi match.
Show Notes – Fujita vs. El Desperado opener was an entertaining Young Lions vs. veteran style match. Tonga’s rolling DVD & Supreme Frog Splash to YOSHI was nice. Tonga vs. YOSHI-HASHI was a pretty good back-and-forth action bout. Owens’ series of dropkicks & high flying moves to Goto to start off their match was nice. Ouch at Owens’ back after Goto’s backdrop counter of Owens’ Package Driver on the apron. Owens vs. Goto was a quite good back-and-forth action match, especially the latter half. SANADA’s cannonball to Cobb from the apron to the outside was nice. Cobb mocking SANADA’s crowd cheering routine while stepping on him was a bit funny. Cobb’s Gutwrench German Suplex to SANADA was impressive. SANADA’s Skull End counter of Cobb’s Tour of the Islands was nice. Cobb’s Tour of the Islands finisher counter of SANADA’s moonsault was cool. Cobb vs. SANADA was a very good hard hitting action filled match. Poor NJPW ring announcer, right when he thought EVIL was done with his guard rail antics to him, EVIL decided to start anew with his painful running gag. Tanahashi’s Twist & Shout counter of EVIL’s STO was nice. Tanahashi & EVIL’s low blows exchange was a bit funny. EVIL vs. Tanahashi was prety good despite the well played out Bullet Club style ending shenanigans. Taichi’s chokeslam counter of Okada’s Rainmaker attempt was nice. Taichi’s Dangerous Suplex to Okada almost bending him in half was cool. Okada’s Landslide counter of Taichi’s pounce was cool. Taichi vs. Okada was an amazing back-and-forth hard hitting action packed match. G1 Climax 2021 Night 12 was a very enjoyable show overall.
NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 13 (October 9)
* Kosei Fujita & Ryohei Oiwa vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado – 3.0
* Hiromu Takahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii – 4.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr. – 4.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Yujiro Takahashi vs. Toru Yano – 3.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Tanga Loa vs. Shingo Takagi – 4.0
* G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Great-O-Khan vs. Kota Ibushi – 4.0
Overall – 4.0
Best – Hiromu Takahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii match and KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr. match.
Worst – The audio quality issues at times throughout the show.
Show Notes – Young Lions vs. Suzuki-Gun was a really good opening bout. Hiromu’s Falcon Arrow to Ishii was nice. Ouch at Ishii’s back after Hiromu’s DVD onto the apron. Ishii’s vicious lariat to Hiromu spiking him on his head was cool. Ishii’s brutal lariat to Hiromu bending him in half was sweet. Takahashi vs. Ishii was an excellent grueling action packed battle. KENTA’s top rope Tornado DDT to Sabre Jr onto the ropes looked brutal. Sabre Jr’s double stomp to KENTA’s knees was brutal. Sabre Jr’s leglock counter of KENTA’s Busaiku Knee was smooth. KENTA’s stiff slaps fest to Sabre Jr was sweet. KENTA vs. Sabre Jr. was a terrific stiff hitting back-and-forth action & counters packed match. Kevin Kelly explaining Pieter’s seductive dance during Yujiro’s entrance as her “interpretive dance” of Yujiro ending his G1 losing streak tonight was a bit funny. Yano & Yujiro’s underneath the ring antics was hilarious. Takahashi vs. Yano was a fun comedic-based bout. Takagi’s forearm strike fakeout into a DDT to Loa was nice. Loa got some nice air with his sitout powerbomb to Takagi. Loa’s super powerslam to Takagi was cool. Takagi’s reverse GTR to Loa was nice. Loa vs. Takagi was a great physical action filled bout. First 15 minutes of Khan vs. Ibushi being very heavy in mat-based holds work was cool. IBUSHI’s KO sell of Khan’s stiff straight punch was nice. Ibushi’s vicious knee strike to Khan was sweet. Khan’s claw counter of Ibushi’s Kamigoye into Ibushi’s Knee strike counter of Khan’s claw chokeslam was great. Great-O-Khan vs. Ibushi was an awesome grapple heavy hard fought match. G1 Climax 2021 Night 13 was one of the best G1 shows of this year’s tournement.
NJPW Strong Autum Attack Night 1 (October 9)
* Fred Rosser vs. Minoru Suzuki – 3.5
* NJPW Strong Openweight Championship – Ren Narita vs. “Filthy” Tom Lawlor (c) – 4.0
* Robbie Eagles vs. Jay White – 3.5
Overall – 4.0
Best – NJPW Strong Openweight Championship match.
Worst – N/A
Show Notes – Opening Rosser promo vignette about wanting to win the Strong Openweight title & match with Suzuki was splendid. Ouch at Rosser’s back after Suzuki’s hard chair shot. Suzuki’s stiff forearm strike to Rosser in the corner sending him crumbling to the ground was nice. Rosser’s backdrop to Suzuki on the apron was nice. Suzuki shrugging off Rosser’s forearm strikes & responding with his own set of brutal sounding forearm strikes was cool. Rosser vs. Suzuki opener was a very good back-and-forth physiacl battle. Narita vs. Lawlor pre-match hype video was splendid. Lawlor’s back-to-back Uranages to Narita was cool. Lawlor’s lariat & T-Bone suplex combo to Narita was nice. Lawlor & Narita’s submissions fest exchange was sweet. Lawlor’s double arm & double leglock grapevine submission finisher to Narita looked both brutal & awesome. Strong Openweight title match was a fantastic back-and-forth hard hitting action & grapple heavy bout. Eagles somemersault dive to White on the outside landing on his feet over the barricade was cool. White’s vicious lariat to Eagles sending him spinning was cool. White’s spiked Flatliner to Eagles looked brutal. White’s stalling Saito suplex & trash talk banter was sweet. Eagles’ Slice Bread & Turbo Backpack combo to White was nice. White’s snap suplex, brainbuster, & Bladerunner finisher combo to Eagles was awesome. Eagles vs. White was a very good back-and-forth action packed match. This week’s Autum Attack Night 1 show was terrific overall.
Impact Wrestling Impact! (October 7)
* Six-Man Tag Team match – Bullet Club (Hikuleo, Chris Bey, & El Phantasmo) vs. FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson) & Chris Sabin – 3.0
* Six-Knockouts Tag Team match – Lady Frost, Kimber Lee, & Brandi Lauren vs. Tasha Steelz, Savannah Evans, & Mercedes Martinez – 2.5
* Impact X-Division Championship Tournament First Round Triple Threat match – Black Taurus vs. Steve Maclin vs. Petey Williams – 3.0
* The Learning Tree (Manny Lemons & Zicky Dice) vs. Rich Swann & Willie Mack – 2.0 (Squash)
* Madman Fulton & Ace Austin vs. Josh Alexander & Christian Cage – 3.0
Overall – 3.0
Best – Christian Cage & Christopher Daniels backstage segment teasing a potential future Impact title match between the two.
Worst – Impact Creative’s questionable booking decision of Steve Maclin’s victory over Petey Williams and Black Taurus.
Show Notes – El Phantasmo’s reaction to getting Atomic Dropped by Robinson was a bit funny. FinJuice & Sabin triple cannonball to Bullet Club on the outside was nice. Opening 6-Man Tag was a quite good back-and-forth action filled match despite the ending shenanigans. Heath promo about Rhino & his issues with Violent By Design and VBD response & brawl was splendid. Mack, Swann, Brian Myers, & Myers’ lackeys backstage segment was a bit funny. 6-Knockouts Tag was a solid back-and-forth style match. Post-match ambush attack by Alisha Edwards to Lee & Lauren & her angry backstage segment with Gail Kim was okay. Tenille Dashwood talk show segment with Decay was funny, especially Dashwood’s long bleeped rant. Moose & Morrissey’s backstage promo about their alliance was fine. Maclin’s chokebreaker to Williams was brutal. Williams’ release German Suplex & running knee combo to Maclin was nice. Taurus’ running crucifix toss to Maclin was swell. Trile Threat match was a good action filled match but odd choice to have Maclin win. Cage & Christopher Daniels backstage segment about a potenial future Impact title match was interesting. Swinger’s Palace shutdown segment was a bit funny. Deonna Purrazzo & Mickie James bickering backstage office segment was all right. Alexander’s spinning Torture Rack slam to Fulton was cool. Alexander’s ankle lock counter of Austin’s spinning heel kick was sweet. Fulton & Austin vs. Alexander & Cage was a pretty good back-and-forth action match. This week’s Knockouts Knockdown go-home show was enjoyable overall.
Dark Side of the Ring – Bikers, Bombs & Bedlam Johnny K9 (October 7)
Overall – 3.5
Show Notes – Scott D’Amore’s story about the one time he got short changed of pay and Johnny K9’s crazy handling of the situation and K9’s widow’s story of K9’s naked pizza delivery incident were a bit funny. The story about K9’s biker gang blowing up a police station over a “colors” clothing dispute at a strip club was crazy. Dark Side of the Ring’s Johnny K9 episode was a very enjoyable and interesting look back at the wrestling career and dark criminal life of Johnny K9.
Game Changer Wrestling Fight Club 2021 (October 9)
* Triple Threat match – Alex Zayne vs. Ninja Mack vs. Lio Rush – 3.5
* Joey Janela & Marko Stunt vs. Chris Dickinson & Starboy Charlie – 3.5
* Jordan Oliver vs. Atticus Cogar – 2.5
* Title vs. GCW Career, Internet Championship match – Matt Cardona vs. EFFY (c) – 3.0
* Seven-Way Scramble match – Jimmy Lloyd vs. Dante Leon vs. Gringo Loco vs. ASF vs. Brayden Lee vs. Calvin Tankman vs. Thunder Rosa – 3.0
* Six-Man Tag Team match – Akira, G-Raver, & Alex Colon vs. Second Gear Crew (Matthew Justice, Mance Warner, & AJ Gray) – 3.0
* Yoya vs. Shane Mercer – 2.5
* GCW World Championship Deathmatch – Nick Gage vs. Jon Moxley (c) – 4.0
Overall – 3.0
Best – GCW World title match & GCW’s Hammerstein Ballroom event announcement.
Worst – Several of the matchs dragging in action and/or too long in time and the almost 4 hour run-time for the show.
Show Notes – Mack’s sprignboard handstands & sunset powerbomb combo to Rush onto Zayne on the outside was cool. Opening Triple Threat match was very entertaining. Dicksinson’s Pazuzu Bomb to Stunt onto Janela was sweet. Janela & Stunt vs. Dickinson & Charlie was a very good physical action filled match. Cardona’s impromptu promo mocking GCW was superb. Yikes at EFFY getting brained by Cardona’s stiff chair shot. Internet title match was quite good despite the ending shennigans with Chelsea Green. Thunder Rosa’s surprise apperance was cool. Lyod’s airplane spin backbreaker & piledriver finisher combo to ASF was brutal. 7-Way Scramble match was entertaining. Yikes at Akira getting brained by Justice’s hard chair shot via SGC assited Doomsday Device. 6-Man Tag was a mostly good hardcore match despite dragging at times & flat ending. Briscoe Bros surprise apperance & GCW Tag title match request was cool. Yoya vs. Mercer was solid despite dragging too long. Foley promo segment was both splendid & a bit funny. Ouch at Gage’s knee after getting backdroped through glass & barbed wire on the outside. Ouch at Gage’s head after Moxley’s pizza cutter attack. Yikes at Moxley’s back after getting gashed by Gage onto glass shards. Moxley’s neckbreaker to Gage’s barbed wire wrapped head was brutal. Gage’s spear to Moxley through a glass panel was cool. Gage’s pizza cutter attacks to Moxley was crazy. Gage’s Foot Wash to Moxley’s head onto light tubes was brutal. GCW title was an awesome hard fought physical & bloody deathmatch & bit surprised Moxley retained. GCW Fight Club was an enoyable show overall.
- Best match of the week – G1 Climax 2021 A Block match – Kota Ibushi vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 9)
- Best match of the week runner-up – G1 Climax 2021 B Block match – SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 10)
- Worst match of the week – Queen’s Crown tournament First Round match – Carmella vs. Liv Morgan (WWE Friday Night SmackDown)
- Worst match of the week runner-up – Abadon vs. Davienne (AEW Dark Elevation)
- Best show of the week – NJPW G1 Climax 2021 Night 13
- Worst show of the week – AEW Dark Elevation