AEW announced last night that the Jon Moxley vs. Brian Cage World title match that was supposed to take place on night two of Fyter Fest (taping today and airing next Wednesday) has been delayed until the July 15 “Fight for the Fallen” episode of Dynamite.
On Fyter Fest last night, Taz cut a promo on Moxley that essentially explained what really happened, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio. Taz said that Moxley chose to not come because he said that he’s “concerned for the health and well-being of all of the athletes and crew in AEW.” Taz also said that Moxley took two COVID-19 tests and tested negative on both, and would have taken a third test before the show.
According to Meltzer, Moxley was cleared to wrestle by AEW, but he chose to not come to the show because he didn’t want to potentially infect people and cause an outbreak. He tested negative on another COVID-19 test recently and got the results back before Wednesday’s show, but he had already made the decision to put off the match before he got the results, Meltzer said.
Meltzer also noted that some people in WWE were apparently upset over Taz taking a shot at WWE’s COVID-19 testing situation during his promo. “If you decided to get your ass here to work next week, you would get tested again here in AEW, because Jon, as you know, we don’t run a sloppy shop,” Taz said.