More on Mistrial Verdict in Jeff Jarrett’s Lawsuit Against Anthem
As noted before, Jeff Jarrett’s lawsuit against Anthem Media Group regarding legal issues over Global Force Wrestling tapes was recently declared a mistrial by the United States District Court of The Middle District of Tennessee.
PWInsider’s Mike Johnson reported that in the official court filing for the case, Chief Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw Jr. outlined four issues that lead to his decision to declare a mistrial.
ORDER In a July 30, 2020 ruling from the bench, the Court declared a mistrial in this case and a new trial was ordered in accordance with Rule 59 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure because cumulative errors by both the Court and counsel resulted in neither party receiving a fair trial.
This included, but was not limited to:
(1) the Court’s failure to instruct on comparative negligence;
(2) the identity of the wrong entity in the verdict form on the counterfeiting claim;
(3) improper comments by Defendant’s counsel in opening statements; and
(4) improper statements by Plaintiffs’ counsel in closing arguments, all of which were discussed in detail in the Court’s oral ruling.
Accordingly, the jury is hereby DISCHARGED, and the Clerk shall note on the docket that a MISTRIAL has been declared.
A status conference will be held on September 11, 2020 at 9:00 a.m to set a new trial date.
Eric Young Signs Contract with Impact Wrestling
Sportskeeda held a recent interview with Eric Young and Young revealed that he has recently signed an official contract with Impact Wrestling.
“Yeah, I am on an exclusive contract with IMPACT. I’m very excited about that!
I do have a lot of gas left in the tank. It’s just a question of how much longer I want to do it.”
Young made his return to Impact Wrestling at last month’s Slammiversary 2020 event following his release from WWE earlier this year.
NJPW Summer Struggle 2020 Results – Aug.6, 2020
August 6, 2020
Tokyo, Japan – Korakuen Hall
Quick Match Results:
- Yuji Nagata defeated Gabriel Kidd via Nagata Lock II (submission 8:12)
- Master Wato & Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeated Yota Tsuji & Ryusuke Taguchi via RPP (pinfall 9:54)
- YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii, & Hirooki Goto defeated Satoshi Kojima, Tomoaki Honma, & Togi Makabe via Goto-Nishiki (pinfall 9:12)
- Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Zack Sabre Jr, & Taichi defeated Yuya Uemura, Kota Ibushi, & Hiroshi Tanahashi via Deep Impact (pinfall 9:27)
- NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship Tournament First Round – SHO, Toru Yano, & Kazuchika Okada defeated Jado, Gedo, & Yujiro Takahashi via Kimura Lock (submission 12:03)
- NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship Tournament First Round – BUSHI, SANADA, & Shingo Takagi defeated DOUKI, El Desperado, & Minoru Suzuki via Skull End (submission 13:37)
Misc. Wrestling News & Notes
A recent episode of the Da Podcast had Ring of Honor’s Kenny King as the guest and one of the topics discussed included King revealing that ROH had plans to resume television tapings in late July. King stated that those plans were scrapped due to the recent spike of COVID-19 cases in the United States.
New Japan Pro Wrestling announced that Hiroshi Tanahashi recently underwent and passed COVID-19 testing following an incident this past Saturday where he was in contact with someone who later tested positive for the coronavirus. The company also announced that Tanahashi has been medically cleared to return to the ring for their current Summer Struggle tour.
NJPW also announced that Alex Koslov and Kevin Kelly will be the English commentary team for their upcoming NJPW Strong weekly television series.
As noted before, famed Shoney’s restaurant in Acworth, Georgia owned by Scott Steiner recently closed down due to financial issues caused by the coronavirus pandemic. While responding to a fan on Twitter, Steiner stated that he currently has plans to open a new sports bar at some point in the future.